Friday 28 October 2011

Friday Conundrum: a real one!

Morning comrades.

Here's a poser for you. I'm going on strike at the end of the month, along with millions of public servants whose pensions are being slashed to pay for the bank bailout. As is normal, our pay is docked for that day - about which I won't complain.

However, a few days later, I've been asked to 'volunteer' on a Saturday for a project with which I wholeheartedly agree. I'm torn: the 'Saturday University taster' is a great idea, and I'm friends with the originator, so I don't want to be churlish. On the other hand: if they don't pay us when we don't work, shouldn't they pay us when we do turn up? There's very little goodwill left in this place - I don't want to erode what remains, but nor do I want to let my employers think that they can make money by exploiting our kindness.

So: do I volunteer or stay away?

9 comments:

Artog said...

Hold the taster on the day of the strike?

The Plashing Vole said...

Ha! If only.

Anonymous said...

Volunteer

The Plashing Vole said...

OK, but I was hoping for a little more discussion of the pros and cons!

Music for Deckchairs said...

It's an awkward one, particularly as you're extremely likely to do something towards your work on the day that you're losing pay. When this happens down here, most of us end up catching up on email and grading, at home.

I've come to think that we need some slightly smarter modes of industrial action -- perhaps a return to slow work practices, for example.

Incandescent Llama said...

If yum on stike mayte, yum on strike. If yum werkin, yow be paid.

The Plashing Vole said...

Wise words, all.

Apparently there's the possibility of 'time off in lieu', which nobody in management has yet mentioned. If that's possible, I'll take it.

A

Ewarwoowar said...

I don't have an opinion, just like the fact that you've clearly sent out so many emails in the past few hours that you've slipped into leaving your "A" sign off at the bottom of a blog comment instead. Good stuff.

Sue's Blog said...

What should vole do?
It’s not the aspiring applicants to uni that have caused the problems in society – so go along to the open day with a glad heart and good will.

Good luck with the strike.