Thursday 13 October 2011

Every man has his price

I didn't think I did. But my friend Georgiana has just been in to thank me for proofing her PhD thesis on computational methods of automatically resolving time references in texts - and left me with a bottle of wine and £50 of book tokens. We agreed on the secret of completing your doctoral dissertation: it's never finished, you just stop.

I was hoping to be bought a pint on viva day, so I'm overwhelmed. There's a new minimum tariff. Who's next?

5 comments:

ed said...

...I've actually got you a token in thanks for that LRB subscription...it's, erm, slightly less than £50 I'm afraid...

The Plashing Vole said...

That's really kind of you. I have a pile of random duplicate books waiting for you too!

Anonymous said...

I haven't got you anything :-(

The Plashing Vole said...

I assumed as much, Anonymous. You won't be getting a Christmas card from me this year.

Anonymous said...

Fair do's