Friday 21 October 2011

Calvin and Hobbes explain the crisis of modern capitalism

I've loved Watterson's Calvin and Hobbes ever since I first saw them. Who couldn't love the twin-barrelled satire and sentiment personified by a kid and his cynical tiger, both astonished by the stupidity of modern life? I even spent some of my Philosophy prize at university on some C+H books, pointing to the characters' names and attitudes in my defence.

My friend Adam just reminded me of this strip, in which the roots of our present predicament are presciently exposed. Click on it to enlarge or follow the link.

2 comments:

Ewarwoowar said...

Magnificent stuff.

Every birthday/Xmas for the past few years I've asked for the complete collection, but alas, alas.

Maybe this December.

The Plashing Vole said...

I bought the art-paper boxed set. It is wonderful.