Wednesday 21 September 2011

Back to the 90s

After graduation, I ended up drinking with a select group of ex-students, culminating in visiting a '90s theme bar': a horrifying concept to someone who was actually there, man. The corporate bar's version of the 90s was everything I hated first time round: flaming Sambucca and the very worst confected pop bands of all time. I doubt that even 5ive's mothers play their singles.

Last night was a form of anecdote. I cooked a cider-soaked pork joint (take that, the 1/24th Jewish blood in me), roasted some parsnips and had friends round, and we settled on great American lo-fi for the evening: Folk Implosion, Sebadoh, Slint and some riot grrl -  Babes in Toyland - from the days when indie music wasn't merely a celebrity vehicle.









Anyway, enough proto-Riot Grrl: I've a Shakespeare class to teach, and lots of other things on today, so I won't harass you too much.

5 comments:

ed said...

...no Guided by Voices?

The Plashing Vole said...

Not last night, but good call, they are great. Also not played but wonderful: Yo La Tengo and East River Pipe.

ed said...

I'm vaguely aware of Yo La Tengo, but I shall have to investigate East River Pipe.

I've always preferred Dionsaur Jr. over Sebadoh to be honest...

The Plashing Vole said...

Well, Dinosaur Jr. did feature Lou Barlow of Sebadoh until J. Mascis smashed a guitar over his head, during a gig…

Try State River Widening too.

ed said...

Yup, 'Freed Pig' is a great song - though I missed the reference to him being hit over the head with a guitar!

Thanks for the tip. Is there a 'river' motif to lo-fi rock that I'm unaware of?