Wednesday 17 August 2011

Your suggestions required

My young cousin has been asked to do a school English project on the transition from adolescence to adulthood (actually, I thought adolescence is the transitional period from childhood to adulthood, but we'll let that go).

I've suggested a list of texts, but now it's your turn. What signifies adulthood? Sex? Work? The end of education? Tragedy? Send me your book titles.

Meanwhile, have some North Sea Radio Orchestra. I've set up my new hi-fi (except for the faulty record player, which gets replaced tomorrow) and things like this sound great. It's indie mixed with Steve Reich. Perhaps it errs on the twee side, but I'm comfortable with that. I've also been listening to Glass's Another Look At Harmony part IV, and Norwegian fiddle band Majorstuen. Actually, reading that paragraph back, I'm clearly a bourgeois tosser of the highest order.

3 comments:

Sue's Blog said...

Humm… difficult - William Golding’s Lord of the Flies springs to mind as an example of the depths of nastiness that humans can sink to.
Animal Farm is important for its message about dictatorships.

Anonymous said...

Jane Eyre, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

The Plashing Vole said...

Thanks both. Wish I'd suggested Jean Brodie myself.