Wednesday 3 August 2011

Essential office décor

I've just received a packet of posters to grace the walls in my office. They're all grammar and spelling-related.

The idea is that I can save my vocal cords by silently pointing to the appropriate poster(s). In extremis I can photograph the relevant bit and mail the snaps to the student… or colleague.

It's a shame that we have to spend so much time on basic literacy: clearly some schools are failing. It's not just pedantry - English is a stunningly flexible and subtle language, so an inability to utilise it well limits intelligent people to a horrendous degree. Get the basics right, then move on to the complex ideas you're trying to express.




3 comments:

jadedj said...

I love, thi's post; i.e., where can I get these poster's?

The Plashing Vole said...

Click on the 'packet of posters' link. They're $32 for the set (and cost another $18 to ship to the UK).

litlove said...

I love these - in fact, the university could REPLACE me with these. Shame they are a bit expensive (or maybe I'm just cheap) or else I would definitely get my own set. Looking at yours is fun, though.