Thursday 8 April 2010

Phew…

OK, I really need to work out how long 20 minutes is: I'd hardly started the proper analysis when the chair waved a piece of paper with the words "TIME UP" printed in bold capitals: cue a desperate summary of six pages of critique and two whole novels. Still, lots of questions must mean that I got something right. Now to turn the missed half into another paper…

I'll be sad to go. A couple of weeks ago I was in the tight emotional circle of an international fencing team - this few days has been the intellectual equivalent: people with similar interests and similar lives living in close proximity. Now I'm coming back to a pile of marking and teaching - these have their own pleasures, but normality is always going to be difficult to return to.

4 comments:

intelliwench said...

Apropos of nothing, I saw this event announcement at intellikid's uni and thought of you:

http://www.bu.edu/phpbin/calendar/event.php?id=97799&cid=17&oid=0

I'll ask her for a full report.

The Plashing Vole said...

Thanks Intelliwench - seems fascinating. Wish I could go.

On the same subject, see the quote under 'about me' on my librarything page:
http://www.librarything.com/profile/aidanbyrne

intelliwench said...

Ha!

Oh, dear...that doesn't mean...?

The Plashing Vole said...

eh?