Wednesday 21 April 2010

Pages and pages

Only one book in the post today - Jean Mitchell's Storm and Dissonance: L. M. Montgomery and Conflict, bringing my spend on Anne of Green Gables books to £200+. Oh dear.

Luckily, my friend and colleague Sarah has looted the 'university shop' (a marketing thing in the local shopping centre) of all the good second hand books it has on sale. She's presented me with a tour of 1980s Conservatism called Thatcher's Britain: A Guide to the Ruins which seems remarkably current, leafing through their current manifesto, and a beautiful Penguin Special, Daniel and Gabriel Cohn-Bendit's Trotskyist Obsolete Communism: The Left-Wing Alternative (1968). Daniel Cohn-Bendit's still around, as a Green MEP.

4 comments:

Sam said...

Just felt the need to post a comment given that I'd lost the blogging bug recently, and to state I have fallen in love with Jayne Eyre! I bought a new copy yesterday for £1.20 - bargain. Such an inspired choice for the reading list this week, in fact, there isn't a single extract I haven't enjoyed reading - sad as it may sound I'm actually quite disappointed that the module is coming to a close...

Sam - who can spell, honest! said...

*Jane* Eyre

The Plashing Vole said...

Excellent: education works! If you get into melodrama, try Ann Radcliffe's (earlier) Gothic thrillers like The Castle of Udolpho. Wonderful stuff.

Sam said...

will give that a read over the summer Vole, thank you