Tuesday 13 April 2010

Another forest falls for me

More books arrive today. Last week's conference was meant to give me a break from ordering online, but wi-fi + lots of interesting books being discussed meant I sat at the back of each paper, buying whatever was being discussed. Damn.

Today: two peak-oil/climate collapse novels (Edric's Salvage and Miller's Sunshine State. Mary Rubio's biography of L. M. Montgomery, and Gil Scott-Heron's searing, angry 1972 black liberation novel The Nigger Factory. If you don't know him: he basically invented rap, recorded some of the best music of all time, wrote some amazing novels and did a fair amount of time for drugs offences. Here's his stunning piece, The Revolution Will Not Be Televised. Today, you'd say it won't have a Myspace, a Facebook status update or a Twitter feed. It's a running commentary on the numbing conservative effect of media and capitalism on liberation.

2 comments:

Zoot Horn said...

Another proto- (but as far as my tastes go better than) -rap ensemble are The Last Poets. I first heard their 'Wake Up Niggers' on the soundtrack of Performance (Jagger/Fox movie) and it's a great song that raps (in the, ahem, traditional sense of the word)on the same theme as Scott-Heron's 'The Revolution Will Not Be Televised'. Their 'Best Of' album contains a long track called 'Doriella du Fontaine' which features, allegedly, Jimi Hendrix. Their first album is brilliant. You may pay homage to my copy tomorrow if you so wish, just after I miss your paper because I'm teaching...

The Plashing Vole said...

I've heard of The Last Poets, but never heard anything by them. OK, see you tomorrow after you miss my enlightening Anne paper.