Friday 26 February 2010

Text us NOW!

Unlucky Dip has posted a couple of clips about 'interactivity' - old media's desperate attempt to appear responsive to the jerking knees of the Public as a means of filling space and because it feels uncool to be authoritative. Here's the one from Brooker's Newswipe: acerbic and accurate. And good swearing.



I'm with Cafferty: I don't want to hear what Mike from Upper Gornal 'thinks': I'd like to hear an expert's view. Unfortunately, even studio guests can be morons now - especially on science (must have a loon putting the anti-climate change view, or the pro-homeopathy view 'for balance') and other sensitive subjects.

Oh, and the plan to cut BBC 6music is insane. It's a distinctive service which fills a clear gap in provision. How about cutting Radio 1, or BBC3 - they're both travesties of public service?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear BBC I am shocked that you intend to remove a service I like when you could remove a service I don't like! Radio 1 and BBC 3 are for 'youths' who are probably all on drugs anyway and need to do a bit of National Service. Why, in my day etc etc etc etc...

The shame of cutting Radio 6 or the BBC Asian Network should not be about how many people listen but that they are so cheap to run. Together they cost less than a lot of programs. Why not just have say, six or seven less characters in Eastenders, swap a couple of sit-coms for stand-up, show classic drama instead of expensive American films, get one person to read the news and the sport on radio news programs, etc etc. Cuts really don't need to affect output or quality at all.

Oh, I'm sorry. I was looking at it as if it were a financial problem. I forgot for a moment that this is all about the Conservatives and Murdoch dismantling a public service.

The Plashing Vole said...

I should have made it clear why I think the BBC shouldn't run Radio 1 or BBC 3: not because they're aimed at 'youth', but because they aren't providing anything the private sector can or wants to provide. Radio 1 used to, but is now entirely indistinguishable from commercial radio other than the absence of adverts - and when I'm in charge, advertising will be banned from the airwaves anyway. The same goes for BBC3.

Everything else you say is entirely true.