Wednesday 6 January 2010

How media work…

Hello all. I'm sort-of back. I'm not sick, and I haven't been sacked (they'll have to prize the whiteboard marker out of my cold, dead hands) but life happens even when you're trying to read.

This doesn't mean that I've ceased to consume cultural, political and sporting trivia to fill the gaping void where my soul should be. One of the things that enervated me this morning was the Daily Express, which rather modestly calls itself The World's Greatest Newspaper. I actually don't know why it exists. The Daily Mail has a niche: there are plenty of bitter, selfish people out there to be catered for, whereas the Express is a shrill mini-Mail (horribly, the Daily Telegraph's becoming the Maily Telegraph too).




By 'they', I presume the paper means the world's climate scientists - reducing them to a threatening, faceless pronoun is a desperate attempt to imply some sort of conspiracy, while 'claim' attempts to relegate hard science to some sort of saloon-bar nonsense.

As it happens, the weather we're experiencing is an effect of global warming. Some scientists prefer the term 'climate change' to hint that anything can happen, but the basic fact is that we've heated up the atmosphere. Weather systems are incredibly complex. Our normal winter is mild because of the sea and wind currents which warm the sea and air (look West: we're level with North American cities which habitually experience -20ºC), and our geographical position. That warm air is now over the Mediterranean, meaning that Western Europe is experiencing colder weather than usual, and the Med is warmer than usual.

If things get really extreme, we'll lose the warm sea currents which keep Britain mild, thanks to polar melting. Then, global warming will make Britain a much colder place.

If you don't believe me, try Southampton University, UEA, hell, if you're a proper nutter, try Fox News!

But then, paradoxes are probably a bit too complex for the Express.

Update: useful 'idiot's guide to snow and climate change' here.

1 comment:

Ewarwoowar said...

That's wonderfully nonsensical, even for the Express.

Don;t worry Voley, you haven't missed too much. Good news - my Shakespeare essay is even worse than my Paradise Lost one!