Wednesday 30 December 2009

Meanwhile, outside the books…

While I've been nose-deep in books (I stick with George Eliot, who said 'the world outside books is not a happy place'), romance has reared its head.

The house has been filled with couples: my brother and his wife, a sister and her husband, two more sisters with their partners (separate rooms, of course: we're a Catholic family).

Yesterday, sister number 2 (of 4) turned 32. Today, her delightful bloke of four years proposed to her and she accepted, somewhere up the Wrekin. It was a cold day, and no doubt the snow had disoriented him. Either that, or she'd slipped Rohypnol into his thermos.

So congratulations to them both. I imagine my dad's hoping for a long engagement, so soon after coughing up the folding for the last hitching only 6 months ago. No doubt further pressure is being applied to the remaining sisters' partners…

2 comments:

Some Chilean Woman said...

Congrats to your sis! But I also feel sorry for your parents paying for another wedding. Your parents will be relived when you get married since her family will most likely pay for the wedding. Is that how you do it over there?

The Plashing Vole said...

That's the classic model - I'm sure there's some give and take.

Me marry? I count myself lucky if a female refrains from vomiting on my shoes - no prospect of a girlfriend in sight… Hence the reading.