Friday 13 November 2009

What a long and strange week it's been

Happy Friday, cybermates. How I am looking forward to a foaming jug of ale after the day ends (one workshop on Greek love poetry and a 5 p.m. project tutorial), then tomorrow the Map Twats are walking the Cloud, near Congleton before an evening watching Ireland trounce les françaises at soccer.

After all my frenzied preparation this week, the Othello lecture went fine. I thought I had a mere 25 minutes of Olivier's overacting to struggle through before confronting the Big Issues, but actually the old ham strung out Act 5 for an hour. It didn't take long for students to actually and openly laugh at his terrible performance, and I can't say I blame them.

After that, it was off to New Cross with a student taken ill (I'm an effective lecturer, but the effects aren't always positive), which was less dramatic and more pleasant than you might think - we talked about music and books for a few hours while the madness of A+E went on around us.

Imagine my joy when I returned to find that Neal had prepared a delicious broccoli and Stilton soup for me. How I'll miss him when he leaves the West Midlands. Perhaps I'll have to hobble him, as in Misery.

3 comments:

Ewarwoowar said...

Particularly enjoyed you describing Olivier, one of the finest actors I have ever seen, as an "old ham". But from what I've seen of his Othello, I'm inclined to agree.

And now we sit and wait for the Friday conundrum...

Dan said...

I hope Jan Moir is reading this - you and Neal are a heartwarming, shining example of the fact that civil partnerships do work.

Ah, delicious broccoli and stilton soup. Time for lunch, I think....

Newton Heath 18 said...

Love the fact you referred to it was soccer. Let's hope we get a result.