Thursday 26 November 2009

Theremin crazy

I am temporarily the proud possessor of a small theremin. A few of us clubbed together to buy one for my friend Alan - guitarist in The Nightingales.

I've borrowed it back because some of the Map Twats, slightly financially embarrassed, are making a (very) alternative Christmas album, and a theremin is essential, I feel. The results so far are deeply, utterly disturbing. I'll stream it when the whole thing's finished.

I first saw the theremin played by Pram, a wonderful experimental pop-rock-electronic band, in the late 90s or early 2000s. Here's proof that it can be used for pop too - and then some Pram!




3 comments:

Benjamin Judge said...

What is that video? Is that them? I have always thought of Pram as being producers of hauntingly beautiful melodies, one of the acceptable faces of lo-fi, but that video gives the impression that they are just a bunch of twee, upper middle class, uninspired art-school posers. Damn. I am really going to have to fight now to like Pram. Maybe I can like the music but not the artist or what they stand for, you know, like with Wagner?

The Plashing Vole said...

They went through phases!

neal said...

This is an exciting development, although I fear it will most likely push back our album release date as we spend hours pissing around making silly noises.