Friday 10 July 2009

If you go down to the woods today (redux)

Morning all. How was your day of from my incessant, vacuous ranting? Thanks to Emma for keeping me updated with cricket scores. England + Wales/Australia sounded like fun, and Ireland hammered Kenya!

We went to Cannock Chase for a good long ramble. No dogging involved at all. It's a weird place. Some of it is horrible commercial timber plantation, some bits are quite bleak, while other areas are idyllic. We saw green woodpeckers, buzzards, kestrels, rabbits, lots of bilberries and two types of deer (roe and fallow). Needless to say, they all evaded my camera very impressively - here are a couple of snatched shots of shy deer. The Map Twats didn't get away quite so easily - the full set's here

Obviously, being in the woods and on the heath didn't preclude me from buying books: Oxfam in Stafford is very impressive. I picked up an oldish translation of Ovid's Metamorphoses, Nancy Mitford's lightweight Voltaire In Love, Michael Frayn's witty A Landing on the Sun and two very throwaway books for summer reading: The Welsh Girl by Peter Ho Davies and Michael Dobbs' House of Cards.








3 comments:

Dan said...

"Buzzards and dreadful crows/A necessary evil I suppose."

Anyway, Frayn. I'd like to give him another chance, I really would. But Spies was dire and the thing about the privet and it's smell at the start annoyed me. I think I still have my copy somewhere - pilfered from college.

Ewarwoowar said...

That first picture might just be the most homosexual thing I've ever seen in my life. And I studied Hockney for a year for my Art GCSE.

The Plashing Vole said...

Good quotation.
Frayn: I didn't like Spies either. I think everything else is stunning though: Headlong and Towards the End of the Morning are absolutely brilliant. Give them a go.

Ewar - the Map Twats are very metrosexual.