Monday 20 July 2009

I just need to unload

I've seen some strange things today (and yesterday).

The Waterstones notice above the cycling books reading 'Peddle Power' - I don't think it was a sophisticated joke about selling cycling books.

Also on cycling-related matters, I treated myself to new handlebar tape, lights, lock and pump today. I didn't choose the lights available for £423.99! Now, I love cycling gadgetry. My ultimate bike is the Moulton New Series Double Pylon (c. £10,000) though any Moulton would be heaven. I have a 196os Moulton F-Frame (not my bike pictured) which needs serious restoration by an expert before I can ride it and an old Viscount racer which Neal's done up for me. But. Almost £500 for a set of lights. That's not rational.

Outside the bike shop, a man listens to a radio pressed to his ear. A silent radio. They're coming, you know.

Finally, some etiquette advice. If you go into a local pub in the UK, you don't take the stool at the end of the bar. It belongs to someone called Bob, even if he's not there. Even if you've been coming to this pub for 10 years. Even if Bob's dead. It's his place. Likewise at the swimming pool, there's a system called queuing, which is a fair way of providing space according to the order in which people arrive. I've been swimming three times a week for a year now, so I'm not Bob, but I know who the Bobs are. They arrive early, queue and wait patiently, swim in a stately fashion and nobody gets in their way.

Today, we were all patiently waiting for the 11 o'clock shift. At 11.55, two women walk in and go straight to the front. They object to waiting until 11 and stay at the head of the queue. Then when they appear in the pool, they hog a lane to themselves. Which is fine, if they're going to use it. But they don't. I did my 44 lengths in the time they took to do 7, in between a lot of chatting and standing around in such a way that nobody else could use it. Selfish gits. Sorry, it's really annoyed me: public amenities should be used with regard for the needs of others - it's how community works.

Oh yes, the other weird thing. Listening to the posh bloke (Ed Stourton) on Radio 4's Today programme, playing and discussing Slayer. Apparently the band's very popular amongst US soldiers as a soundtrack to killing Iraqis.

4 comments:

Benjamin. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Benjamin. said...

I'm in complete agreement, the diminishing ways of etiquette and importance of community values leaves us open to Communist takeover.

Another publican rule; when a gentleman comments upon your attire/makes friendly conversation or even an amusing joke (you did this, Vole in the Hogshead) then it is only polite to smile and gently laugh. NEVER ignore or look dismissively of that person just because you are situated in a toilet and that gent may be 60 odd years of age. He is still a human being; it is akin to the treatment of the homeless on the streets. I always give change if I have it or I shall apologise if I do not.

The Plashing Vole said...

Sorry to transgress.
Communism IS (or should be) about paying equal regard to all.

Benjamin Judge said...

I like Lenny Bruce's take on toilet etiquette which frowns on conversation, "it is as much as I can do to piss, wash my hands and leave" Even eye contact to Bruce is a step too far and I can't help but agree on the matter. By all means strike up light conversation with me while I am pondering over the salad bar but as a general rule if I have my cock in my hand I am not best disposed to gossip.