Friday 19 June 2009

Hippies: death from above

As the more hippy-minded amongst you will know, tomorrow's the shortest day of the year, and thus the solstice. The Map Twats are celebrating by camping out on a Welsh mountain, the lucky sods.

The authorities are obviously worried about a mass uprising of hippy terrorists. These hardened criminals must have an awful lot of heavy weaponry - they're clearly the successors to the Taliban, IRA or the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam. How do I know? Well, the police are planning to use unmanned drones against them, in case they leave their cider bottles near Stonehenge. Just like they do in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Is this really the best use we have for the police? Is that what multimillion pound technology is for? Or do the cops feel they have the absolute right to treat anyone with whom they aren't in sympathy like terrorists? They can't even claim that Stonehenge might be damaged: the area has been a national disgrace for 50 years as successive governments refuse to move the highly polluting, damaging road away from one of the world's oldest monuments.

I'm no hippy. quite frankly, I'm pleased that they place themselves in camps. Saves a lot of effort, but there's no way that some hippy ravers deserve to face the full weight of a highly militarised paramilitary force deployed against them. Still, the Daily Mail appears to run Scotland Yard these days…

3 comments:

Imaginary Friend said...

I think I am right in saying it is actually the longest day of the year, not the shortest...and isn't the solstice on the 21st which I make to be Sunday, not tomorrow. Do correct me if I am wrong!

jadedj said...

Plashing---Imaginary is not imaging this...it is the longest day. Nevertheless, it does not take away from the point of this post. A shotgun to kill a gnat, so to speak.

The Plashing Vole said...

Yes, I've been working very hard and the strain got to me. You're all quite correct, it's the longest day, and they're camping on a Welsh mountain tonight to observe sunrise on Sunday morning. Without me. I'll be doing battle in the Men's Foil at the Shropshire Closed.