Friday 12 June 2009

Everybody's a critic

The Guardian's reviewer didn't like Kröd Mandöon and the Sword of Fire (BBC2) very much. Did you watch it? I did, and thought it bearable - some funny one-liners and a decent enough idea, as though someone had gone through Terry Pratchett's bin. However, it paled somewhat because a couple of days previously, I'd listened to Radio 4's parody of sword and sorcery tales, Elvenquest. Like virtually all of that channel's 'comedy', it's pretty weak, but it's a hell of a lot better than Krüd (though the presence of Julius from The Thick of It helped).

Luckily, the next show was the new series of Mitchell and Webb, which was much stronger than the last, and, as you'll expect if you know that Mitchell is my physical and spiritual doppelgänger, it was a strange experience. I particularly enjoyed the Mitchell talking doll, which uttered lines extremely similar to those I use in seminars ('that was a particularly banal contribution…').

3 comments:

John Callaghan said...

do Linden trees really smell of ejaculate?

The Plashing Vole said...

Lindens are just non-fruiting lime trees, and I don't think they do. They have a delicate fragrance - the leaves can be eaten when young, and bees love the flowers. I think Messrs Mitchell and Webb were being a little bit naughty. Though it is the 'lovers' tree' in Germanic cultures.

Oh dear. I'm sounding like Mitchell again. Got a new t-shirt?

Zoot Horn said...

Celery sauce according to Leopold Bloom.