Friday 29 May 2009

This Friday's conundrum

A nice one this week.

Who are your fictional heroes? With whom do you identify or admire? I'm opting for Arthur Dent ('I seem to be having trouble with my lifestyle'), who fruitlessly and accidentally travelled the universe in search of a decent cup of tea, which is disastrous. He also sported a fine dressing gown, as I have been known to, loved cricket and was pretty decent.



I've been accused of resembling Mark Corrigan too. It's true that he (and David Mitchell) is right about most things, worries about ordinary human decency, comes from Shropshire, wears a good dressing gown and the actor shares a birthday with me, but I'm ignoring all that. (Some people say Mark's conservative - they're wrong. He's just not a liberal). My university ID card has a photo of Mark on it. Nobody has ever challenged me.


(Today's xkcd cartoon is a lovely typography one - don't miss the mouse-over. Did you know I went to watch a film about Helvetica and own several books on fonts?).

4 comments:

Ewarwoowar said...

Identify with:

Mark Corrigan as well, amusingly.
Holden Morrissey Caulfield.
Frasier Crane.
Alvy Singer.

Admire:

Biggles - if only for being a casual racist and having friends called Algernon and Ginger.
Captain Virgil Hilts.
Lt. Frank Bullitt.
Thomas Crown (although he is a bit of a shit)
Tintin.
Rocky Balboa.

Probably more, just can't think of them currently.

The Plashing Vole said...

I'd forgotten Frasier (and Niles). Not so keen on those you admire… you only seem to have left off Gordon Gecko!

I'd like to add Ratty and Badger. And Moominpappa.

Dan said...

Gah, Caulfield's already gone.

In that case, Larry the Loafer.

Amire: Moussam Bardi.

Zoot Horn said...

I identify with the caterpillar from Alice. He smokes and I'm old Father William. I used to resemble the rabbit but I got a watch and stopped taking the medication.