Monday 30 March 2009

Normal service is resumed

Ho hum, back in the office, with a PGCE day to look forward to tomorrow. Lots of work to do for that in this month. I need to go swimming today too - all that standing around eating delicious pierogi, and zupa gulaszka, and kabanos etc etc hasn't done my waistline any good at all.

At least I was greeted with two books in the post: Jessica Mitford's The Making of a Muckraker and The American Way of Death - wonderful, spiky books. I also bought a couple of books yesterday: Adam Roberts' alternative steampunk history Swiftly and John Burrow's magisterial A History of Histories. I only went out to buy birthday presents for other people!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you deliberately buying every book in modern world or is it collection that when you perish shall pay for your funeral?

neal said...

If anyone wants to start a recession-proof small business I suggest that they open a bookshop somewhere between Aidan's house and Wolverhampton University. I reckon they could easily cream off at least half his salary. You can even check online which books he hasn't got and put them in the window to lour him in.

Lauren said...

Across from the brewery in wolverhapton, there is a samll bookshop. I say book shop, it is or was used as a house, but the front room has been made into a little bookshop. It is actually called the old book shop or something. Looks interesting.

The Plashing Vole said...

I spent £65 there a couple of weeks ago. It's a cute little place, but they haven't restocked in over ten years.